"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law."
Galatians 5:22-23

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Welcome to Sacramento

Made It!!

The flight here was better than I thought it would have gone. There were some great people that flew with me and I would definitely fly alone again. I think that there are so many things that are coming at me right now that it is hard to be able to express how I am feeling at this point, but the first thing I guess I would say is grateful. Dave and Susie, and their kids (Anna, Julia, and Justin) picked me up from the airport, hand made sign included!

After that family and I went to Safeway (a grocery store) and went shopping where the kids were telling me all about their pets and school (they are homeschooled) and their favorites foods. They were really excited when I said that I have never had artichokes before and then Susie proceeded to get some so I could try them this week with this wonderful sauce. And she got this Mexican potatoes (that name escapes me) but apparently it is really good in salads. Dave and his family have been so wonderful and trying to make me feel as much home as possible, I am so blessed.

After grocery shopping Dave took me on a tour of the neighborhood. The airport is closer to the newly developed area where there used to be nothing up until about 6-10 years ago and everything in that area is now completely new. Nothing had been there before because it was a flood plan, but now they are able to build on this area which has in return caused problems for this community I am in. They struggle with side effects from urban sprawl and isolation from the major highway and the Sacramento river. Dave and his family live in known as Garden Land North Park. This community is primarily centered on Northgate blvd also know as heroin alley and the corridor of neglect. There is a lot of broken families and elderly people here struggling with immense poverty and food insecurity and other issues.

There is SO much I have to learn about this community; Dave just gave me a very general tour. Bridge of Life church is actively involved in caring for this community. God calls each of us in a different way to work for his purpose and here we have a group of people called to make a change in the midst of this turmoil. God is good and is working wonders.

The second word I would use right now to describe how I am doing is overwhelmed. As you have read there is a lot going on here. And I am so tired, and so hit by this communities need for the love of Christ. I am definitely having a harder time dealing with the time change than I thought I would, but am so grateful for the people here who have been praying for me and anticipating my arrival. I am excited to see where God can use me this summer.

In Him,

Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment