"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law."
Galatians 5:22-23

Thursday, July 22, 2010

July 15 - Small World, Big God

Today way a day like most others but it also had an interesting twist. My world felt a little bit smaller when I encountered another student that goes to Calvin. Every Thursday the Greenhouse goes to the pool for the afternoon with the kids and I help supervise. It always is a blast and it might be one of the kids favorite things, especially on days when the temperature goes above 100 degrees (like today, 104). While we were at the pool I noticed that one of the life guards looked at lot like someone from my Spanish class, and it turned out that it was. It was so crazy, because he told me that he normally doesn’t guard at this pool, and that he is the son of the pastor of Living Stones CRC, the sister church of my church, Bridge of Life. He has known Dave and other people that go to my church for years. What really meant a lot though was when I got home and told my host family the story and mentioned the common phrase “what a small world”. Christina said something that just really touched me. She said, “you know how you were home sick and wanting to see someone from home…well there you go! Home doesn’t seem so far away now does it?” It’s so true. Knowing that some random person, from a class I took this past fall, lives in California in my neighborhood, made me feel like I am not so far away. It just made GR seem so much closer and helped me put things in a new perspective. God is so interesting in how he teaches us and shows us lessons; he continuously blesses me through the conversations or phrases I hear from people. I am amazed at his never ending love and care.

In him,

Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment